« Greetings from Oxford! | Main | Dispatch from a Shimer Student in Oxford »

December 10, 2008

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a010534b2c34a970c01053647cc70970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference What Does a Work of Art Do? or Everything I Ever Wanted to Know about Art I Learned from My Shoes :

Comments

Adrian Nelson

I read Tolstoy's "What is Art?" for Hum1, and some of his arguments for art are pretty similar to Heidegger's. One of his criteria for art is that it communicate the feelings of the artist to the audience, and the better the art, the more universal it is.
His argument for not understanding art of a bygone era is that their art celebrates the values of their time, and we have outgrown them--we have advanced and left their art behind. That in a way seems similar to what Heidegger is saying: that art becomes a thing when you can no longer connect to it.

Piers

I'm writing an essay at the moment concerning 'The Origin', titled, 'Is our appreciation of artworks subjective?'

I have studied the text but as with much of Heidegger the vagaries of his intentions can lie far from the direct translation of his philosophy. However, your blog has given me some ideas and it was well written.

Concerning your last question you should look up this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Thought-New-Interventions-History/dp/0631227156/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231349567&sr=8-5

Or rather, specifically the...penultimate essay i think it is where Diarmuid Costello explores the possibility of the Tate Modern being a modern/technological artwork, in a Heideggerian sense. Personally it seems she is fighting a losing battle from the start but it is still interesting.

Julia

I did art at school and high school here in Spain and I think that a big problem with the Art education is that all the teachers show you the same paintings or sculptures and tell you the same about it and don't motivate you to understand the creation or the author... and most of the people end up saying "I don't like art"

Too bad! People should leave the ordenador for a while and go out to some museum and get some culture... instead of spending so much time with their ordenadores and componentes pc. I'm thinking of puting a picture in my website like "the painting of the month" and make people look at it when they log in... maybe that's going to make a few of them to apreciate the art. Kisses from julia from my portatil

subzero000

i am from egypt , on our school art eduction considered secondary and do not study such as another course , i hope to educate another shape from art such as graphic as child love computer and use it Madly

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Disclaimer

• The opinions expressed by the Shimer bloggers are theirs alone, are subject to change upon each blogger's reflection, and do not reflect the opinions of Shimer College. Shimer is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of any of the information supplied on this blog and strongly encourages you to contact the Shimer Admission Office directly if you have questions about Shimer. The entries on this blog belong to their authors and to Shimer College. Shimer encourages and deeply values discussion, but the college is not responsible for what is posted by commenters and reserves the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever. Deletions will likely be made if commentary is commercial, irrelevant, abusive, profane, rude, or destructively inaccurate. Shimer students on the regular staff of this blog are modestly compensated for their efforts.