« The Big Bad Final Conference | Main | Where do you summer? »

May 22, 2009

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a010534b2c34a970c01156fa9c4da970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Summer Thoughts:

Comments

Cassie

I did a really interesting, competitive internship program my senior year, and a similar thing happened to me. I was off wandering around the state senate or the state attorney general's office until the last two periods of every day (during which I took care of the annoying state health requirement and did independent study for AP Studio Art, so I didn't see many people), and when the awards dinner happened, people didn't remember that I was still there. I had always been involved in such things in the past, so it was pretty alienating. I accomplished a lot more where I was, though, and in the long term that's made the difference. When the dust clears I bet it'll be the same for you.

Hope you have a good summer, Katy. Anecdotal evidence from Great Books students past suggests the first one after you start college is the weirdest, interaction-wise. It gets easier.

Katy Martin-Seaver

Cassie,
You're right. I know that I will look back and think of my year at Shimer as so much more productive than a year at my high school would have been. I think after a year of Great Books, you have to remember how to talk to people who haven't read what you've read. This means there are whole levels of connotations they don't understand, it is a lot like speaking a different language, except the words all sound the same, the grammar is even the same.
I guess it is sort of like a code.
I think I will adapt to this kind of bilingual, and we'll go from there.
I also remember the annoying Maryland health requirement. But you don't know how much cried when I moved north found out FOUR years of PE/Health are required in New Jersey.

Cassie

I had to do "independent study" for gym my senior year because of the internship thing I did--NY is the same as NJ. This involved getting seriously and hilariously lost in the woods with an friend on at least one occasion.

Anyway, yeah. You adapt. Your education isn't as useful to you until you figure out what you can take from here and apply to there, so to speak, and it's also one of the harder things to learn. Good luck with it. Please do not tear your hair out, as your haircut looks nice.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Disclaimer

• The opinions expressed by the Shimer bloggers are theirs alone, are subject to change upon each blogger's reflection, and do not reflect the opinions of Shimer College. Shimer is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of any of the information supplied on this blog and strongly encourages you to contact the Shimer Admission Office directly if you have questions about Shimer. The entries on this blog belong to their authors and to Shimer College. Shimer encourages and deeply values discussion, but the college is not responsible for what is posted by commenters and reserves the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever. Deletions will likely be made if commentary is commercial, irrelevant, abusive, profane, rude, or destructively inaccurate. Shimer students on the regular staff of this blog are modestly compensated for their efforts.